The Centre of African Studies is located on the 3rd floor of the Alison Richard Building, 7 West Road, Cambridge CB3 9DT. We are open to the public from 9am to 5.30pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 5pm on Friday during University term. Opening hours may vary outside of termtime.
We can be reached in ten minutes on foot from the centre of town (King's Parade). Nearby landmarks are the University library and the 'Backs', which are the gardens and parks running along the Cam at the back of the colleges. For travel options from your location click here
- From Junction 12 of the M11
- Drive for approx 1.5 miles into Cambridge (Barton Road)
- Turn left into Grange Road
- Turn 3rd right opposite the Rugby Club (West Road)
- The Alison Richard Building is located towards the end of West Road, on the right hand side
Trains run regularly to Cambridge from both London King’s Cross and London Liverpool Street. If you are coming from the North, it is advisable to change at Peterborough. West Road is a 10 to 15 minute taxi ride from the railway station.
Park and Ride
Cambridgeshire County Council run a 'Park & Ride' service from Madingley Road, just off Junction 13 of the M11 to the West of Cambridge. Take the Uni 4 bus (which runs from Monday to Friday) and alight at the stop entitled 'West Road University Library', which is opposite the Alison Richard Building. For more information on the County Council’s Park and Ride listings click .
We do not have dedicated parking for patrons, however, you may find the following helpful: Cambridge City Council parking rates as of 28 July 12
- Pay & display parking on West Road: current charge is 20p per 10mins Monday-Saturday, 9am-5pm; free after 5pm and on Sundays; blue badge holders free.
- 2 bays for blue badge holders are available on the Sidgwick Site.
- The nearest unregulated streets are Herschel, Adams and Cranmer Roads.
- If you are a speaker at a seminar or are visiting by invitation, on-site parking may be arranged on request.